There are several ways you can detox your life – clearing the clutter out of your space, eating better and analyzing your diet, removing stress, and watching the ingredients in the products you use on your skin. Changing any or all of these things can bring down your stress and anxiety levels and detox your life.
Let’s get started with the end goal.
Easy, clean, healthy habits and routines that make you feel good and look good too.
Keep it simple and start with small steps. Over time, these small steps can make a big difference.
Little changes and knowing what to look for can make a huge difference.
Take inventory of what you are eating. There are thousands of healthy recipes and weight loss, health programs out there. Watching what you put in your body can be one way to detox. People often think about what they put in their body, but not as often as what they put on it! What we put on our skin goes into our bloodstream and affects our body, health, and overall well-being.
A simple way to start your detox process is to turn over your products and check out the labels and ingredients.
If your products have any of the ingredients listed below, it is time to detox your skincare. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, but there is so much controversy and conclusive studies, we say when in doubt – throw them out!
1. Parabens – These are preservatives found in many cosmetic and skincare products and are known hormone disruptors. They can be linked to breast cancer and reproductive toxicity by mimicking estrogen receptors on cells as reported by the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.
2. Aluminum – And not just the cans of soda and other drinks come in. Aluminum is in your skincare products! Check your labels and see for yourself. This is most commonly found in antiperspirants. It works to block the pores, preventing the natural removal of sweat from your body.
3. Phthalates – This chemical is often demonized in the use of fragrance oils. The National Toxicology Program, in last year’s 13th Report on Carcinogens, listed Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (usually known as DEHP) as “anticipated to be a human carcinogen.” A 2007 study also linked obese or insulin-resistant American men to higher levels of DEHP in their urine.
4. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – These chemicals can irritate your skin, lungs, and eyes. Who wants that? Soaps and shampoos often contain these foaming agents. We feel the more suds the better…Not true. And, these chemicals wash down the drain and into other areas to pollute our environment.
5. Mineral Oil – Besides being an environmental hazard, a 2011 study found mineral oil to be the largest contaminant in the human body! Human fat accumulates mineral oil over time basically from the skincare products you use on a daily basis. Untreated mineral oils are listed as carcinogens by the World Health Organization. Most (and how do you really know) cosmetics probably contain refined mineral oil from petroleum which will also accumulate in the fat in your body. Mineral oil can easily be replaced by wonderful hydrating ingredients like jojoba, almond oil, and grape seed oil. The real kicker is the cost to the company. Bottom line, find a company that cares about the consumer and adds yummy oils you would eat, not petroleum-based that accumulate in your fat cells.
It only takes a little time to learn the buzzword products to avoid. Then you will be a detox pro in no time when it comes to skincare!
Jordan Essentials has these ingredients on our “never ever” No No List so you can count on us to help you in your efforts to detox.
...come to those who sign up for our emails.
Thanks for joining! Look for your first email to arrive soon!